The average temperatures in Akron and throughout Northeast Ohio have been incredibly good this year. The lowest temperature has been around 53 degrees Fahrenheit this November, and on thanksgiving week, the temperatures are supposed to dip a bit, but nothing too bad for this part of the country. Taking that into consideration, we are having better weather than other years, and that means we have more time to take care of our cars’ “health” before winter truly arrives. Here is list of 5 things you should be checking out to ensure your car is running smoothly and won’t let you stranded.
- Battery – If starting your car seems to be getting sluggish, and your car’s battery is older than three years, it is a good time to get it checked and make sure it is still in working condition. If your engine light is on, sometimes the battery is the one responsible for it, and you need to replace it as soon as you can.
- Coolant – also known as antifreeze, can help your car’s engine stay at optimal condition in cold weather. Coolant can keep your engine from freezing during those single digit temperatures in the northeast Ohio area, and you can get a gallon of antifreeze for less than $15 dollars
- Tires – We usually replace the tires in our car by the pair. During cold weather, and when there is snow on the ground, having good tires can be the difference between having an accident or not. Making sure your car has good tires, and that they have the right pressure, is very important for you and the life of your car.
- Lighting – By 5:15 p.m. we are experience the sunset in northeast Ohio, sunlight is no longer there when we leave work, and during this time of the year, it is very important the light bulbs in our cars are all in optimal condition. The visibility we have during the winter months is much less, and we need to be prepared for it.
- Washer Fluid – during a snow storm, it is very frightening to find yourself with no washer fluid in your car. Visibility is null, and a Walmart is nowhere in sight, what do you do? Make sure the fluids in your car are checked before winter arrives, and not only the washer fluid.
By taking care of your car, you can prevent accidents, avoid unnecessary expenses like towing services, and maximize the life of your vehicle.