I like baking – I have a sweet tooth. Among my baking ingredients, amidst the flours and vanilla extract and eggs, there is one thing that I consider to be very important in the household that I always make it a point to stock on it and that is baking soda. For a couple of years now, I have collected some uses of baking soda from online sites and have even tried some of them myself. In this article, I will share with you some of the benefits of baking soda.
- Facial Scrub – This is something that I have done and still continue to do to this day. I make my own baking soda facial scrub by mixing one and a half tablespoons of warm water to three tablespoons of baking soda. The consistency should be that of a paste. Use this to scrub dead skin cells and germs off your skin. Be careful not to get too close to the eyes. It stings.
- Room or Fridge Freshener – Let’s admit it. Our fridge is the source of a mixture of odors from leftovers and other stuff we put inside it – not all of them pleasant. The simple solution I have is to put 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a small container (something that will not take too much space in your fridge) and let it sit there for a few days. I find that odors inside the fridge are neutralized when I do this. You can also try this out in your rooms.
- Kitty Litter Deodorizer – As a pet lover, this is something I do. Before filling your litter pan with kitty litter, sprinkle a layer of baking soda at the bottom and then add the kitty litter. This helps the kitty litter from getting too stinky.
- Minor Insect Bite Treatment – I cannot attest for this because I have not tried this myself, but baking soda is said to be a good treatment for insect bites. You have to make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to the affected area.
- Brush and Comb Cleaning Agent – Your brushes and combs collect dirt from your hair. It also gets oily from your scalp and residue from your hair products. You can easily get rid of this by soaking your combs and brushes in warm water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda for about half an hour to an hour. After that, you can simply rinse it and let it dry.
Baking soda has been very helpful around the house and not just for baking purposes. It can clean surfaces, act as a beauty product and can keep the air fresh. So the next time you run to the grocery store, drop by the baking goods aisle and make it a point to keep your shelves stocked with it.