Keeping in mind that a mattress is a very personal item to buy for you and your spouse or partner, there are basic guidelines you need to be aware of before you choose the mattress that will give you comfort and won’t crush your finances.
- Research online – You need to find a couple of websites that can offer you information about the type of mattresses you are willing to buy. Not all mattresses are the same, and they offer a wide range of comforts that you may not need. We are providing the first website for you with tons of information that can be relied upon. http://bettersleep.org/mattress-education/, the other one is up to you and your preferences.
- Know your budget – How much are you willing to spend buying a mattress? There are mattresses that are only a few hundred dollars, and there are mattresses that can cost you 5K. Which one do you really need?
- A want or a need? – Do you want a mattress because you saw a new one advertised, or because you bought a new bed? Or do you really need one because of back problems? When you find the answer to this question, you will find the right mattress for you. There are mattresses that can help you alleviate some of the discomforts you may have during sleep and others are specifically designed to offer comfort to that particular area of your body. The price varies depending on the type of mattress you need so you need to choose with care.
- Ask your Doctor – Your physician may have a recommendation for you, or at the very least a suggestion as to the type of mattress you need. After all, he knows the pains and discomforts you are experiencing.
- Online shopping for a mattress? – Many millennial do not think twice about shopping, paying bills or banking online. For them, buying a mattress can be done as easily as clicking their mouse or pad, and companies know that. If you are comfortable buying a mattress online, by all means, you can do it, but do it with care. Learn about their return policy, warranty, shipping, discounts they may have, and other important information you need before committing to buying it. Some companies are offering a trial period to try the mattress you want, take advantage of their offers especially if you are buying a big-ticket item.
- Go to a mattress store first – You do not need to buy the mattress online, you can visit a local store to try the mattresses they have, and make the decision then. Some stores are willing to work with you if you have found a better price online. Do not TRY the mattress by pushing your hand on it only, see how it feels when you lay down on it.
- Take your spouse or partner with you – If it’s a mattress for the two of you, you need to BOTH try the mattress. What may be a comfort to him/her, it may not be for you. This is an item where it matters to both of you. If you are buying the mattress for a child, take him/her with you, let them choose what they want. Later on, they cannot complain about a decision they made.
- Mattress Care – If you bought a mattress and are happy with it, now it is time to truly take care of it. Read all the instructions included in your mattress and enjoy your purchase.
Purchasing very personal items that are a few hundred or thousands of dollars can be a bit uncomfortable in the beginning, especially if it involves spouses or partners. Making the right decision is not difficult because it is an item you both need. Enjoy your shopping and your sleep!