Akron Today Magazine is owned by GR8TR Today Magazines – with internships in many cities. Let us know if you are looking for particular locations beyond Akron.
Are you an English, Communication, Marketing or Journalism student or an aspiring writer looking for experience and a letter or recommendation from a digital magazine editor?
GR8TR Today Magazines offers unpaid internships (bonuses available) which can lead to paid freelance opportunities and work opportunities when positions available to candidates who have demonstrated excellence in all facets of our program. Completing the program includes a letter of completion with a recommendation you may use in future job searches. We offer Fall Magazine Internships, Spring Magazine Internships and Summer Magazine Internships with a lot of flexibility to meet your needs and schedule.
We respect your time and understand your desire to get good experience while not taking up too much of your time in an unpaid position. Your internship is a minimum of 35 hours up to your program’s required hours of participation. The minimum work required is 10 articles of different types, 15 social posts and optional outreach for sponsorship – which pays a bonus if successful. If you require additional hours the number of articles and social marketing done will be increased to meet your needs.
This position is a remote position and collaboration will be done in Slack, Zoom and Email. You may complete it in as little as 2 months or as long as 6 months based on your availability. We typically have 1-2 interns at a time per local magazine. Ideal candidates will live in the general area of the city magazine they are applying for.
- Strong writing skills
- Interested in online magazine publishing and local topics
- Legal adult permitted to work in magazine country
- Great work ethic – can work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to write on many topics and research topics you are less familiar with
- Strong ethical standards – No history of copyright infringement falsifying information in publications.
- Strong desire to write political and religious neutral biased material.
- Active social media presence
- Excellent grammar
- Quick learner with good listening skills
- Must be willing to work a minimum of 35 hours over several months minimum to complete the necessary work – or the agreed upon required hours for your program.
- Understanding of and commitment to principles of community, diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Magazine Articles
- Articles are 400 to 600 words in length – can be longer when warrented
- Each intern is required to do one of each of our 10 types of topics
- One will be an interview, one will be a profile of a local business or thing to do, as examples.
- Articles must be 100% unique and properly sourced.
- Required to promote your own articles on social accounts.
- When articles are of a local nature, images are required.
- Byline given in articles – GR8TR Today Magazine owns all rights
About Social Posts
- Interesting Local Facts – short details.
- Will use online graphics program to make visual posts
- Local pictures and short video will be taken to use with posts
What Successful Interns Get
- Instruction and training on creating local digital magazine content
- Regular meetings with editor to review work and brainstorm ideas.
- Byline in articles
- Letter of completion and recommendation from Today Magazine.
- Experience working as part of a digital magazine team in a virtual environment
- Bonus for sponsorship inquiries from working with local businesses
- Experience with new tools for media creating
- Concise work requirements to achieve recognition for valuable experience
- No menial errands or crap work – just stuff developing skills you can use in the future.
How To Apply
Please complete the form below. We will review and get back to you. If you have questions give us a call at (330) 815-2742
GR8TR Today Magazines is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for internships without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.